AGE CARE – NOT!!!
Today I read my digital newspaper and I am in total shock – MAGOTS IN THE MOUTH OF A WOMAN IN AN AGED CARE FACILITY!!! WHAT !!!!!
I grew up on a farm and we had some sheep, from time to time they would get maggots under some certain conditions – we called it flyblow – and we had to do urgent treatment as the maggot will drill into the flesh of the poor sheep. The flybow was near thick folds of wool and other near their rectum. Often if some feces were caught on the wool area around the rectum then the strike could easily happen. Maggots are the lava of the fly and some other insects. These insects lay their eggs and in about a day the eggs hatch into the maggot. see: https://www.orkin.com/flies/house-fly/life-cycle-of-house-fly/
I would expect that this woman to have been checked several times each day. I would also expect that flies and other insects be prevented from be in this ladies room. It seems that she was in need of a significant amount of attention as she was a palliative care patient. Flying insects in a nursing home is a health issue that must run to the heart of the accreditation issues.
The details of the report!
A PORT Stephens woman whose mother was found with maggots in her mouth the day before she died at a Raymond Terrace nursing home has called for an investigation into the aged care sector. Jayne Carter said she went “numb” when staff at the Opal Raymond Terrace Gardens aged care facility told her they had found maggots in the mouth of her mother, Shirley, who had dementia and Parkinson’s disease. “They called and asked me to come into the office, and the facility manager said, ‘We’ve got some terrible news, we’re really embarrassed about this, but we found maggots in your mother’s mouth,’” Ms Carter said. “I didn’t feel anything. I kind of went numb. “I went and sat with mum and as I sat there, I looked at how vulnerable she was. She couldn’t move, she was pretty much comatose, she couldn’t roll over and needed help for everything, and I started to get really angry.” Ms Carter began to question the standard of her mother’s care at the facility in late-2015, when she said staffing levels changed and their shifts were split. “I did get some unfortunate shots of the inside of her mouth, and there was a considerable amount of green on her teeth and the like – it looked like moss, it was disgusting. An off-duty nurse came in and gave her an oral clean. It was a really thorough swabbing, and nothing like anything I had seen them do before.” Ms Carter said she had been a “bit freaked out” about the maggots, and had nightmares afterwards. She was asked not to tell anyone about the incident, as it could get “blown out of proportion.” Then she remembered her mother, who died at the nursing home in October 2016, had always been an advocate for the vulnerable. Ms Carter is now demanding an inquiry into the aged care sector, because these kinds of stories were happening “too often to too many people.” “We need to be responsible and be respectful to those who came before us,” she said. “There are a lot of really good nursing homes out there, based in the local community. I don’t want to see them penalised. But I do want the organisations putting money before people to be held accountable. “Mum was 92, she had pneumonia, she was going to die. But that is not the point. The point is that as a palliative patient she was supposed to be cared for and kept comfortable.” Managing Director of Opal, Gary Barnier, told the ABC that the Raymond Terrace management involved in the case at the time had been dismissed, and that they would support an inquest.
As a taxi driver of a wheelchair accessible vehicle I have a lot to do with taking customers to and from nursing homes. I have often found many issues that disturb me. the serviceability of wheelchairs is appalling many the brakes do not work and mostly the reason is the tyres have insufficient pressure. Some the footplates do not match or they do not have footplates. unmatched footplates will cause a person spinal issues and not having footplates means dangling legs can be injured. I get the fact that inside the nursing home some residents may use their legs to propel themselves around but when being pushed it is a dangerous practice. Some chairs are so filthy that I have rejected them as food and other disgusting spillages render them a health hazard. I am told understaffing is the reason why this happens. I do not care about the why! I d care about the result. Good money, and a lot of it at that, is paid for their care in these places and they must deliver.
I note that dividends to investors into the shareholders in the companies are quite handsome most of the time; I also note that most of the staff are not very well paid and hence a low moral attitude to the work in many cases.
While the inquest should enquire into this nursing home and the problems in this case we need more! We need a full open enquiry into the whole nursing home industry and the ratio of funds gleaned from the residents being actually spent on them and what is gleaned for the managers and the shareholders!!!
I have called for such an enquiry often! The numbers of registered nurses per floor and ratio of registered nurses per resident at both the acute high care and the low care as well as the hostel facilities. The active activities offered to the residents to prevent the early onset of sedentary life activities. The more active activities the greater the life experience in the nursing home. I am convinced that al in the Christian Democratic Party fully support me on this one!